Southend, Essex and Thurrock (SET) Safeguarding Adult Boards have updated the SET Mental Capacity Act & Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Guidance and Mental Capacity Assessment Forms.
These documents replace previous versions, so please ensure you update your records and files with these new documents and ensure any communications channels within your organisations reflect these changes.
The purpose of the documents is to provide the framework for assessing mental capacity, as well as assessing Best Interests in line with the Mental Capacity Act 2005, including Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards 2009, and Codes of Practice.
The policy aims to give individuals:
- clear information and advice
- support when making specific decisions
- flexible care and support
- risk enablement to allow them to plan and keep control
It is important for all practitioners to be familiar with the full policy, guidance and forms, however to make it easier to spot the changes we have highlighted them below.
Changes to the document include:
- causative nexus,
- situational incapacity,
- young people and the MCA
- The forms have been updated in line with the above sections
- The forms have been streamlined and separated to allow practitioners to use whichever form is appropriate and necessary.
For further information go to the Mental Capacity and DoLS pages.